Finding a job working in a commerce business is simple. Add an ‘e’ to the title so that you’re looking for a job in ‘ecommerce’ and that changes things a little bit. Ecommerce refers to Electronic commerce. It refers to the buying and selling of products and services through electronic systems such as computer networks and the internet. The term is popularly used to talk about shopping carts on the internet. Imagine you’re in control of everyone’s shopping cart on an online store. Sounds powerful, doesn’t it?
What is e-commerce?
E-commerce has two separate definitions:
- buying and selling goods and services over the internet. This can be via individual websites and online catalogues.
- the daily exchange of information for business, using email, fax and other digital systems.
What jobs can you do in e-commerce?
- Web developer/designerWeb editorOnline sales/e-commerce
- IT support
- Graphic designer
- Search engine optimiser
Top tips to getting an eCommerce job
- Build your CV so its clean, simple and really to the point. List the important things, like your most recent job roles, positions, achievements and experience close to the top of the CV as many recruiters will not read it all.
- Scan through recruitment agencies, particularly ones that specialise in ecommerce – they may be annoying or charge a fee, but at least they send you directly to your dream employers, and nowhere else!
- Take as many interviews as possible. The ecommerce game is a numbers game; the more interviews you get, the more chance of landing a job.
- Post your CV and covering letter on the website job Boards (JobSite, Monster, Reed, Total Jobs, Search, etc) to getmaximum exposure. Use major keywords in your Title field and in your Profile as employers will find you by matchingyour data to searchers keywords.
- Know your stuff when it comes to online jargon and what actually drives traffic on the internet. Not only will it impress employers in both your resume and interview, but it means you’re more employable, and you have a headstart in the ecommerce industry.
Getting a job anywhere can be a mission in itself, and with the new online environment, its vital that you know exactly how to apply, where to look and what kind of presentation of yourself works best for the ecommerce industry.
To look for an ecommerce job,visit MyCareer job search.